Wishing all Hastings Families a wonderful summer!
Back to School Events!
We’re still in the swing of summer, but all too soon it will be time for the start of the school year. Mark your calendar for the following events, particularly if you are new to Hastings!
- Saturday August 26, 10am-12pm – Meetup for entering Kindergarteners at the Hastings Playground
- Sunday August 27, 3-5 pm – Hastings new family get together at the Hastings Playground, current families welcome and appreciated
- Monday August 28, time TBA – Kindergarten teacher meetings (look for an invitation in the packet you will receive from the school in August)
- Tuesday August 29, 8:30-9:30am – Welcome Back Coffee for parents
- Monday, September 11 – Welcome to the School Year Picnic, Hastings playground
It’s not too early to start training for the 8th Annual Hastings Harvest 5K Run/Walk 5K to be held Sunday, October 1. For more information about the Harvest Run and/or to REGISTER now, visit http://www.hastingsharvestrun.com/
PTO Opportunities for 2017-2018
The PTO needs your help next year, and getting involved with the PTO is fun and a great way to get connected to the Hastings community and see your children at school. If you are interested in learning more about any of these roles, please click on the committee/event titles to link to descriptions and email the appropriate co-chair.
HASTINGS HARVEST POST RACE PARTY – Are you interested in helping with this great event at the beginning of the school year? Help is needed to solicit food donations from local businesses and organize the party. Email email@example.com
DINING FOR DOLLARS – Many local restaurant offer programs where they donate a portion of the proceeds to non-profits. This is a great opportunity for Hastings families to get together for dinner while raising money for the school. Ideally, we would love to have a series of these dining fundraisers throughout the school year. All we need is someone to take on the cause. Email firstname.lastname@example.org
BIG BACKYARD GRADE LEVEL COORDINATORS (Grades 1, 2, 3) – We are looking for volunteers to coordinate the walks for your child’s grade level by working with classroom coordinators to make sure each class has enough volunteer walk leaders and the walks are scheduled when appropriate. Email email@example.com
WEB FORMATTING FOR BULLETIN – We need someone to help with formatting the weekly bulletin. This will take about half an hour a week, with flexible timing! Email firstname.lastname@example.org
STOP & SHOP A+ REWARDS COORDINATOR – This is a great opportunity for a busy parent to take over coordinating this well established program. Stop and Shop A+ Rewards raises approx. $1,600 per year for Hastings. Email email@example.com
Shop Amazon and Support Hastings
Planning to make some summer purchases from Amazon? Be sure to start at smile.amazon.com – if the Maria Hastings PTO is not already your selected charity, click here. Every time you use AmazonSmile, Amazon will donate a portion of your purchase to the school. The PTO uses this money to fund student activities, teacher grants, and so much more! Other easy ways to support the PTO are listed here.
The PTO Thanks YOU
Thank you to EVERYONE in the Hastings community for supporting the PTO this year both monetarily and through THOUSANDS of hours of volunteering! Money raised from membership dues, direct donations, fundraising activities, the adult social, and participation at events supported the following:
- Discretionary checks to faculty for supplemental materials for use in the classroom, funding to art, music, and PE specialists for additional supplies, grade level experts (e.g., map cartographer for entire grade 3), and additional minigrants to individual teachers for special projects and activities
- A Principal’s Fund for use throughout the year as expenses arose outside the budget
- Scholarships for field trips, book fair, etc…
- Annual Book Fair to fund library expenses throughout the year
- Bereavement donations in lieu of flowers for immediate family members of faculty/staff
- Star Newsletter
- Materials for Big Backyard, Go Green Recycling, Family Math Nights, Field Day, and Science Fair (including prizes)
- LEF Trivia Bee – sponsorship of two teams from Hastings
- Talent Show
- Celebrations including the Welcome Gathering for new families before school began, the Welcome Back Coffee on the first day of school, Welcome Back Picnic, Family Friends events, the Multicultural Potluck, Boston PTO meeting, and the Year End BBQ
- Staff Appreciation Events:
- Catered lunch the day before the students arrived plus candy filled water tumbler
- Catered lunch in the winter along with donated gift cards for all faculty/staff
- Teacher Appreciation week breakfasts, fruit, desserts
- School Directory, both printed and online versions
- Website fees, dues to the National/State PTA, copying of all backpack flyers and posters, tax preparation, volunteer appreciation, etc…
- Thank you gift to teachers and staff leaving Hastings