School Committee Update, March 26 Meeting
April 29th — School Committee will vote on what to do about Fiske overcrowding. Modulars vs Redistricting vs new building.
Enrollment Working Group met last week (3/27) with Dr Ash to work on Master Plan
School Committee Reorganization:
- Margaret Coppe re-elected as Chair of SC
- Vice Chair position eliminated
Discussion of Holiday Recognition for 2015-16
- Current days off: 10 Federal, 3 religious (Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur & Good Friday)
- Suggestion by SC: construct a survey for parents and teachers about holidays, and look up low attendance days in the past.
- Recommendation from Dr Ash: use 180 days with highest attendance and to stick to a secular calendar vs religious.
- Community members spoke in support of Jewish holidays, Chinese holidays and eliminating all religious holidays.
- This topic will be discussed more in the future.