Being a Room Parent does not mean you have to be in the classroom or at Hastings all the time. Most of the work involves relaying information to the class and coordinating parent volunteers, both of which can be done by phone or email.
Typically most classrooms have one Room Parent who is the primary liaison to coordinate and communicate with the teacher and a few other Room Parents to assist with activities throughout the year. The following is a typical list of responsibilities to be shared among all Room Parents. The specifics need to be discussed with the teacher early in the year (usually after Back to School Night), and usually Room Parents for a given classroom meet early in the year to divide up the below roles across all the Room Parents.
- Assist teacher with class email and phone list
- Collect donations from parents for class needs / activities and teacher gifts
- Provide support to teacher for classroom celebrations/crafts during the year (e.g., crafts such as December holidays, Valentine’s and Spring)
- Coordinate sign-ups for classroom parent volunteers as needed
- Forward emails from teacher and PTO to families
- Coordinate and purchase gifts for teachers/staff
- Manage Scholastic book orders (depends on the teacher)